



When it was time to take Bella to her resting place, Michael and I stayed with the man from the cemetery as he sealed her little casket. I can't remember what two people carried her. It's all a blur but someone did.
Then we got to where she would be laid to rest. A beautiful poem was read by one of the staff. Here it is.
I AM NOT THERE
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morninig's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there. I did not die.
After that a prayer was said and we returned Bella to the Father, we thanked Him for having given her to all of us.
When the poem was being read, as he was reading the line I am a thousand winds that blow...a breeze came through. Marsha pointed it out to me after the service. I told her that something caught my attention at that time and it must have been the breeze. Now when I feel the breeze, I smile and think of my sweet girl.
Many consolations have come my way since that day. I will try to list them at some point. I'll just mention one here.
About a week after the funeral, as I was waking up one morning, I could hear Bella breathing in the den. I remembered that she had gone on but I just continued to listen and the sound stayed for a while and then faded off. I was always very aware of her breathing because she had permanent respiratory problems from the heartworm disease that she had had and I wanted to see if she was having a hard time or in need of any medication.
I guess I was waking up and in that "in between" place. Hearing her breathing was a peaceful, consoling sound. I don't exactly know how to explain it. I just enjoyed listening to my girl in the next room.
The first picture of Michael in the wheat field was taken in Bassignana, Italy...where our family is from. I thought of it when I came to the line in the poem, "I am the sunlight on ripened grain." I love this picture. It was such a beautiful day and such a peaceful setting. It's so bright and beautiful and full of light and life...just like our sweet Bella Rose.
Michael helped me so much with Bella...from the first day, to the last. Toward the end of her life, when she was so sick and her fur was falling off, Michael would go with me to the vet. He was wonderful and Bella loved him. Thank you, Michael
She loved John too. That was obvious when he got a chance to come home from either Washington or Nashville...and John loved Bella...we all did. She knew who her family was and when either of them would come in the door, she would greet them and be so happy.
The next picture after that is Bella's little resting place...the one on the left. I liked the corn field in the back. It reminds me of when I was a little girl on my grandfather's farm. It's peaceful.
The second picture is Bella's little spot looking toward the pond. There is a white gazebo that you might be able to see. There is also a swing for people who want to go over there, sit and just be quiet and there is Rainbow Bridge which you can't see.
The lady that owns the cemetery takes all the ashes from the animals who are cremated and scatters them on the island. I've been out there. It's really nice. They become part of all the living things on the island. They do not die.
The third picture is pretty much the same as the first but on the far right you can barely see a bunch of chickens roaming around. I love that. There are ducks out there too...rescued. I'm sure there are many animals that come through there.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.