

Saturday, December 27, 2008
I've discovered two more things that Bella Rose is afraid of
1. the wind
2. firecrackers
Since about 8:30 this morning she has not wanted to go outside because we are having a very windy day and she doesn't like the sound of it. I finally got her to go out about 1:00pm. I got her to follow me and Petie out on the back patio and she ate a little bit. She kept looking up at the trees and wanted to go in but I encouraged her to stay outside and she seemed fairly ok if she could stand next to me and got her scratches :)
Yesterday, some kids in the neighborhood were setting off firecrackers and she was just horrified! Even after hearing just one in the distance she wanted to go right in. She's like Currie in that way (my Golden that I had years ago). Currie hated fireworks. So many dogs do.
So, over the years I've gotten in the habit of staying home with my animals on New Years Eve. I figure there is the added bonus of probably not getting hit by a drunk driver...unless one plows through the front wall of my bedroom...you never know :)
Unfortunately, I have to stay home on the Fourth of July or have someone with them...and that is just about my favorite holiday. They are worth it though.
I just about had this whole post finished a minute ago andBella heard a jet overhead, might have thought it was the wind, crawled under the computer table and deleted the whole thing. That's OK.
1:55PM
It is such a sweet feeling to watch Bella go through her day, just enjoying life, rather than fighting to get well, or being afraid. I'll notice a look on her face or see her do something cute and it just reminds me that so many of the rough times are behind us. I'll be at my desk and she will walk
up with this sweet little smile and just sit next to me and look up. She just wants her scratches and wants to be close. Of course, I just melt.
Then I'll see her plotting to drive Oliver crazy...and, of course, Oliver is plotting to do the same to her. They both creep around looking for each other, waiting to see if the other pops out from behind a door or from the other room. Sometimes, Bella will just say the heck with it and run after Oliver. He takes off up the stairs real fast. It's cute and obviously fun for them both.
Now Bella has gotten into her chewies, big time. She wasn't interested when she first came here...too sick. Now she will go get one, come sit beside me while I work and just proceeds
to wear it out and wear herself out in the process! She's having a big time.
She and Petie are very close and really look out for each other. Very sweet.
Then there is the new routine at night. When I go to bed Oliver always comes in because he wants to be with the family and he wants his scratches and tummy rubs. Lately, I've been using this time to give him a trim and get out any tangles that he might have and brush him. There is something, though, about brushing him that just drives Bella crazy!
As soon as I start to brush Oliver, she gets up and paces back and forth at the bedside, whines and then tries to get up in the bed and get him. He goes into the attack mode, I start telling her to sit down, which she eventually does and poor little Petie is trying to keep the peace. I don't know what it is about that brush but it drives her wild!
Well, as long as I can keep them from all out war, that's good enough. Oliver could do some serious damage with those claws and I don't want Bella to get hurt. Petie gets upset with all of this and I don't like that but I keep him right by me and give him lots of hugs and kisses and that calms him down.
So, that's it for our little family update right now. Pretty basic
stuff...just enjoying life :)
Posted by bknd2anmls at 1:43 PM
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.