8/27/09

Our First Thunderstorm





Thursday, December 4, 2008
Last night, Bella went through her first thunderstorm in her new home. She does not like thunderstorms! Most dogs don't. Some are more frightened than others. Bella hates them, maybe because she was kept outside, I'm guessing.

When she heard the first crack of thunder and saw the first lightening strike she became extremely anxious. When I got in bed, she was pacing around the room and all of a sudden, she got in bed with me and Petie! She had never done that before!

Petie, of course, tried to stop her by barking but Bella didn't pay any attention to him at all. She wanted to get in bed with her Mama and she just kept on going! The cute thing was that,
as the storm went on, she got closer and closer and snuggled beside me so I could put my arm around her like I did when I was teaching her to cuddle. She would watch the ceiling and look to the windows and she was nervous but she stayed in bed and got really close.
Then when the storm calmed down a little, instead of going to her bed, she came around and got next to my side of the bed and slept on the floor there, with her head on a pillow...all
night.

This sweet girl is just more endearing every day. It was a very heartwarming feeling to know that she came looking for me when she was afraid and that she felt safe in bed with me.

All of our time together, all that we have been through with the heartworm treatments and her other physical illnesses and emotional challenges, has obviously left her with a feeling of trust and safety in our relationship. I'm so thankful for that.

Today, December 4, we have been together exactly two months. That is really not a long time but our bond is so strong, that I feel that I have known Bella forever. We've been
through a lot together. We made it through and now, we are all a family...me, Bella, Petie and Oliver.

Petie wasn't too bothered by the storm because he was in bed with me, as usual and he doesn't have a high level of anxiety when the storms come. Oliver was like....what storm?
Posted by bknd2anmls at 11:21 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.