Tuesday, October 7, 2008Bella is back in the hospit al, ICU, with a wonde rful vet, Dr. Suzanne Hearts ill, the woman who took care of puppy Hope, the dog who was set on fire. She did this out of the goodness of her heart and went to court to testify against the "defendants" and was a wonderful witness.
So, Bella is in the best place right now and whether she lives or not is out of our hands. All we can do is give her the best care and choose the most humane things for her.
Medically, she is anemic, has elevated liver enzymes, has a very severe case of heartworms and should never have been spayed. All of this, in addition to the abuse she suffered in her
past makes for a very sad life for such a beautiful, sweet girl. She has about a 60% chance of survival.
I hope she lives. I've sent prayer requests to the Poor Clare Monastery here in Memphis and the Pet Prayer Line, an online prayer group for pets and people, too....but the pets come
first.
She is comfortable now after pain medication and Dr. Heartsill and Dr. Clay will keep her that way. I'll go see her tomorrow. I've only known her for three days but I love her
already. How can you not? She is sweetness itself and she should never have been treated the way she was.
They gave her the biggest "room" (cage) at the vet's office and put down a soft comforter for her. Then one of the techs brought her a Kermit the Frog stuffed animal to keep her
company tonight. She really looked so sick when I left. She
had just started going down overnight and this morning, after I thought she was improving.
The heartworms are really dragging her down, so on Thursday, we will begin the treatment. After that, as the worms are removed by the body, the most dangerous thing that could
happen is that she would throw a clot which would land in her brain, lungs or kidneys or who knows where else. She will be on strict rest, which she has been already.
The anemia has a couple of causes, one being the heartworms and one being the fact that she was covered in flea bites. When my son and I gave her a bath, brown water (old blood
from the flea bites) ran off of her. I finally got her clean and to the point that she wasn't itching any longer. It's just one battle after another for her, though.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE! Don't these jerks know that animals suffer the same way we do? I wonder how they would like to be treated this way! I'm very sad about the way Bella
has been treated in her life and I hope she can make it but I won't let her suffer and neither will Dr. Heartsill.
God Bless Bella and all suffering animals and all those who
love them.
Posted by bknd2anmls at 7:25 PM
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.