8/27/09

Round Two

I dropped Bella at Dr. Heartsill's this morning for her second and final round of
heartworm treatment. She has gained two more pounds, so that's a total of 12 pounds since coming out of the shelter on October 4th. She now weighs 71 :)

She will get one injection today and one tomorrow. She will have to stay two nights and then I can pick her up on Wednesday. Her recovery will be for another month but I've heard this round isn't as hard as the first. We shall see.

She didn't want to go but they are good to them so I know she is in good hands. One time she gave me "that look" but I was brave. This is something she has to go through in order to live.

5:45PM - Great News!
Just spoke with Dr. Heartsill. All of Bella's labwork is completely normal!!! This is wonderful considering where we started when Dr. Heartsill first saw her. She was suffering with anemia and her liver enzymes were very elevated. In fact, we weren't sure she would live through the night. All she needed was proper care and now she is a very healthy girl!! Way to go
Bella baby!

She got her first injection today and did well. Dr. Heartsill gave her an additional sedative because she said she was acting like she was anxious in the cage. Bella does not like to be in a cage. Considering that she has no front teeth, I'm wondering if she was either kept in a cage or kept on a chain.

Tomorrow she will get her second injection, stay overnight and I pick her up on Wednesday.
I think back to where we were the day I picked her up at the shelter and then I think of where we are now and all I can feel is happy. Bella just needed a chance.

If anyone who is reading this is thinking of adopting an animal from the shelter, it is very rewarding and Bella and I would recommend it wholeheartedly :) I'm very proud of my girl.
Posted by bknd2anmls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.